No More Drama Mama!

No More Drama Mama!

My life was ruled by my menstrual cycle for far too long. I began my cycle around 13 years old and it has always caused upheaval in my life.

I’ve talked about my issues before with endometriosis, cancer, and conceiving. After my cycles got closer and closer together I became a hormonal mess. Every 16-18 days I bled and I was a miserable person to be around. I hated having sex because it was just too painful. There were times when I was more sensitive when I had an orgasm and that part was great, but the emotional toil was too much to bear.

The physical aspect of my cycle didn’t bother S much. We would put down a towel or just hop in the shower for easy clean up. I’m pretty sure I made a bigger deal about it than he ever did. In fact, I don’t recall any man I’ve been with having an issue with period sex. There were a few times when I was just beginning my cycle that we had penetration and then I would attempt to give him a blowjob. I was never able to finish the blowjob because I could taste myself on him- it was a metallic taste, like most blood. I don’t have any issue with tasting myself but the metallic taste crossed some magical line in my brain. I would gag and eventually I was unable to even handle the tip of his cock in my mouth.

By 2010 I was diagnosed anemic and the restless leg syndrome and periodic limb movement disorders became unbearable. I was referred to a neurologist and placed on iron supplements and medications for the nerve issues. By the end of 2010 I was pregnant with my son. After his birth my periods changed and became even more erratic. The pain, lack of energy, lack of sex, increased migraines, and emotional rollercoaster were the determining factors to scheduling yet another surgery.

In April of 2018 I took matters into my own hands, well the capable hands of my OB/Gyn, and had a tubal ligation* and uterine ablation* done. This was the best thing I could have ever done for myself. Since I’ve gratefully given up my monthly bleed I’ve become a much more pleasant person. I do still get the hormone fluctuation once a month but the cycles are now back to the 24 day mark. My libido has naturally increased and my passion for using sex toys has returned as well. Every woman is different when it comes to menstruation, this was my story and I’m happy to share it if it can help another.

Click the lips for more posts on Period Sex. Click the Menstruation Matters badge for more discussions involving periods.

* tubal ligation- medical sterilization where the fallopian tubes are either clamped or cut and cauterized.

*uterine (endometrial) ablation- medical sterilization where the lining of the uterus is surgically destroyed in order to decrease mentrual flow.

**featured image courtesy of ecofemme.org

Share

12 thoughts on “No More Drama Mama!

  1. I was offered an ablation but when I researched it I found an article by the college of gynecologists in the uk that essentially said it was found to be ineffective in 95% of women under 55 when treating painful or irregular periods (of this 95%, 90% went on to have more pain and eventually a hysterectomy within 2 years, the remaining 10% within 5 years) and when I asked the consultant her thoughts she said she would schedule the hysterectomy. So I’m glad it worked for you 😊

    1. Thank you Sweet! The US is really finicky on hysterectomies. You have to go through all the hoops before health insurance will qualify one, the downside of private insurances. I am pretty lucky and I had a great doctor, he has done my other surgeries and he knew what to look for and what would work for me. I’m one of the rare ones that it worked so well that I don’t bleed at all anymore. There is always the possibility that it can stop working as the tissue does still slough off to an extent. If that happens then I could get a hysterectomy. Women’s health is such a hot topic right now so maybe in the future it won’t be so difficult to get procedures done.

      1. I hope it continues to work for you 😊 there is a hit and miss element to the UK too, one trust said I had to lose 2 stone before they would do it, then the trust I’m under now didn’t bat an eyelid at my weight and I was heavier.. go figure… 😊😊

  2. I’m so glad you found something that works, I had a tubal ligation too a few years ago. I got to come off of hormonal birth control and reduce my psychiatric medications. I hope it keeps going well for you.

  3. I feel my life has been controlled by either my periods or the hormones used in an attempt to control my periods. I long for these days to be over but I am so glad you’ve found some relief.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: